I’m already TEFL certified and want to teach in Madrid… BUT HOW?

Many get TEFL or CELTA certified outside the country they would like to teach/live in. This is NO problem! If you do not carry an EU passport you are still able to teach, live and travel in Spain.

Can I get a work visa to teach English?

This is highly unlikely. To obtain a work visa you need to prove that your skill can not be done by a Spaniard or person in the EU. Teaching English often never falls in that category.

So what can I do to teach and live in Madrid?

You can request a STUDENT VISA. With a student visa, you will be able to study, teach, live and travel with no problem in Madrid. There are 3 ways that I am most familiar with:

why-moving-abroad-is-the-best-decision1. TtMadrid’s Lifestyle Package. This program is designed to give full support pre, during and post arrival, for those already with an accredited TEFL or CELTA. You are provided with a year’s worth of Spanish classes, cultural activities and teacher training workshops that fulfill your student visa requirements. In addition, TtMadrid goes through your résumé with you, interview prep questions, and then it sends off your résumé to over 300 agencies. You have access to our resources and are invited all our social activities so you never feel that far from home. There is even support with banks, cell phones, and assistance with legal documents pre and post arrival.

Pros: You have the flexibility to work with kids, teens, adults in groups or one to one settings in general or business English in schools, academies and/or business room settings. You are able to create your own schedule, aka no work Fridays and 3-day weekends!

Cons: If you are lazy or not open minded you will find it difficult to acquire work. Often (but not always) teachers move around a lot but distance can scare many off. What people don’t realize is that Madrid’s public transport is very well connected and runs very frequently – metros, buses and trains! Also, buses usually have wifi! Find out more about our Spanish Lifestyle Package here.

2. Enroll in a university. Not looking to pay school tuition and are from North America? Then Universidad de Alcala de Henares has a year intensive degree that entitles North Americans a full scholarship and paid internship. The department through this University is the Instituto Franklin program. By the end of the year, you will graduate with an MA in Bilingual and Multicultural Education (they also offer other MA’s in this department).

Pros: You get an MA degree upon completion and you are guaranteed a work as part of your paid internship. The schools are private or concertado (semi-private) and cater to kids and teens.

Cons: You are only able to work with a specific age demographic. Your paid internship is about 600 euros (which for a free degree isn’t bad!), but by Madrid standards, it’s not enough to live comfortably and many teach privately to make ends meet. As you will be enrolled in studies you will have homework, assignments, exams and a thesis.

3. Language assistant through the Spanish Ministry of Education. In this program, you are placed in public elementary or high school and work 16 hours a week and will make about 1000 euros a month. You are a teacher’s assistant and, in theory, are never suppose to be left alone with students. You may be asked to follow a textbook, design assisting material or entire lessons.

Pros: One fixed location to work and guaranteed 1000 euros a month. You usually have Monday or Friday off(3 day weekends!)

Cons: The enrollment can be complicated, they government uses a system called PROFEX and it’s been described as “not user-friendly”. The program is designed for the community of Madrid which means you can be placed outside city center, some (not all!) are placed in locations that can take up to an hour/hour and a half to get to (but as previously mentioned Madrid does have a great transportation system and often with WiFi!). You will not be able to teach adults in general or business settings.